Why Choose Shine Dance Studios?
1. We offer great classes starting at the age of 18 months, allowing your little one to begin to love movement and music at a young age and then letting them grow into beautiful dancers! All our classes have a limited size so that your dancer gets the attention they need! All preschool classes have an assistant for extra visual help as well!
2. Our studios are clean, bright and offer an excellent learning atmosphere. All classes can be viewed from our waiting room with our closed circuit TV. We also offer free wireless internet and cable TV in our waiting room.
3. Our teachers are professional, qualified and experienced adult instructors. We have been teaching for over 50 years combined! We have all studied dance at the university level and continue advancing our dance education with classes, workshops and teacher conferences.
4. Our classes are FUN! We provide excellent dance instruction while learning in a fun way! We teach proper and age appropriate technique and moves. In addition, all of our costumes, music and moves are age appropriate.
5. Our performances are tasteful and enjoyable for all ages. Our June recital costumes include a t-shirt AND tights! All of our costumes are sewn and ready to wear! We offer a December Holiday Show and a June Recital. All our shows are no longer than an hour and a half. Every student who completes the dance year receives an end of the year trophy. In addition, special trophies are awarded to 4, 6, 8, etc. year students, Ensembles and Competition Participants. We do not charge a recital fee, only a costume fee!
6. We believe everyone should have the opportunity to take dance at an affordable price. We offer work-study programs and scholarships for those who qualify. We also offer family discounts.
7. We offer a Shine Performance Company class to our dedicated dancers who want to perform in and around our community. They dance at parades, community events, nursing homes and more! We also offer a Rising Star, Petite, Junior and a Senior competition team for students who enjoy competing. Our competition teams are a great way to have fun and improve your dance/performing skills. We also invite all our dancers, not just company students, to participate in community parades!
8. We are all about our families and our community. We live here too! We love giving back what our community has given us! We have in-studio charity fundraiser events throughout the year as well as donate to our local charities!
Sharon Ottilie Gatz-Philbrick
Owner, Ballet, Toddler and Preschool Teacher
Miss Sharon has taught dance for over 15 years. She has studied dance at Temple University, Queens College, Peridance Center in NYC, The Rock School of Ballet and many other various studios in both New York and Pennsylvania. She has attended numerous workshops and teacher conferences including the Dance Teacher conference in NYC, workshops with Rhee Gold and Dance Teachers of America. She was a company member of Acclamation Dance Ensemble at Messiah College and At Marah Dance Company outside of Philadelphia.
Miss Sharon has performed throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York, and has studied ballet, modern, hip hop, African, tap, lyrical and liturgical dance. She was the Director and Teacher of the Children and Youth Dance program at the Philadelphia Area YMCA for several years before opening her own dance studio in Perkiomenville, PA. She has also coached cheerleading in the Three Village School District and an All-Star Cheer Program.
Miss Sharon has a BA in Family Studies with additional credits in dance and early childhood education. She resides in Port Jefferson with her four wonderful children and husband. She truly believes that each of her students are special and can "shine" like a star!
Hip Hop and Jazz Instructor
Becky Robles brings to the studio over 20 years of dance experience. Having studied dance on scholarship at the Roger Williams University in Rhode Island and at C. W. Post, she would graduate from Binghamton University with a degree in Business Management. While there she continued her dancing and was President of the Binghamton Kickline as well as the International Flag Dancers. During her time at Binghamton she also was a teacher’s assistant for a college level jazz class taught by professional dancer and Professor Fred Weiss. In addition to her college training, Becky has studied at Broadway Dance Center and continues to study at the Alvin Ailey Studios. She has performed at concerts for KTU’s Dance Factory Live with Coro and Tymz2 for a BLI Rising Stars concert. She was also the lead dancer for the opera "Carman" at the Tri-Cities Opera House.
Currently, Becky is a dancer for N.Y.C. Jazz Roots Dance Company under the artistic direction of Sue Samuels. When she is not teaching at Shine Dance studio you can find her performing at various prestigious venues around New York City such as Peridance Center, 92 Street Y, Manhattan Movement Arts Center and Alvin Ailey. She also finds time to be the choreographer for a children's theater arts program located at St. Patricks in Huntington. Becky is very excited to be a part of the Shine Dance Studio family and can not wait to share her passion of dance and to see her students grow as dancers!
Toni-Joy has been in love with dance since she first stepped on the stage at three years old. At the age of six, she began training at Amy Tyler School of Dance where she developed her dance technique in ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical, pointe and pas de deux. While at ATSD, she was a dedicated member of the Harbor Ballet Theatre Company. For more than 15 consecutive years, she performed in the ballet company’s rendition of “The Nutcracker,” starring in lead roles including Clara, Dew Drop, Flutes, Snow Soloist and Russian. In addition to her love for dance, Toni-Joy has always had a passion for teaching. Well-versed in a variety of dance disciplines, she began teaching and choreographing at the age of 13 at Dance Divas Academy. At Dance Divas Academy, she taught ballet, tap, acro, combo and leaps and turns classes. After graduating high school, she was hired as a ballet, tap and jazz instructor at ATSD where she worked with a wide range of students. While pursuing her B.S. in Special Education at Dowling College, she continued to teach at ATSD and was a member of the Dowling dance team. She attended CUNY Baruch College where she received her M.A. in Corporate Communications. While pursuing her master’s degree, she continued her dance training, taking classes at Amy Tyler School of Dance and Broadway Dance Center in Manhattan. Toni-Joy is excited to be a member of the Shine Dance Studios faculty and sharing her love of dance with her students!
Danielle Pinga has been studying various styles of dance since the young age of three. She has experience in contemporary, ballet, jazz, tap and hip hop. She found her passion for training and drive when becoming part a competition team in high school.
From there, she attended college at SUNY Oneonta studying Biology with a minor in Dance. She became part of the Oneonta State Dance Team and the Terpsichorean Dance Company on campus while teaching master classes for a local dance studio. In addition to choreographing for each semester showcase, she was voted to be on the executive board as Vice President.
After graduating in 2015, she was accepted into the training program at the world famous, Broadway Dance Center. During her training, she trained closely with Ashle Dawson, Ginger Cox and Derek Mitchell. She also worked for the NYC The Pulse On Tour during this summer of training.
This year, Spring of 2016, she had the opportunity to perform with dance company Danceworks NYC at the Frank Sinatra School of Arts.
Danielle currently works as Physical Therapist Aide in addition to teaching dance. With her knowledge in anatomy and kinesiology, she provides a well rounded learning experience for her students. Danielle is excited to be back teaching at Shine for her second year!